FINALIST: AppaltiPOP

Ask questions for the AppaltiPOP project here!

AppaltiPOP
OnData.it, Italy

ABOUT: AppaltiPOP is a new open data platform that aims to increase transparency and competitiveness in public procurement in Italy. The project makes public sector data more accessible for a wide range of stakeholders such as civil society organizations, companies, civil servants, and citizens at large. The platform gathers data from a number of different Italian municipalities, converts it as Open Contracting Data Standards, and puts it in a single place to be accessed. Finally, public contract data gets “red flagged” on the basis of different transparency and competitiveness criteria. The platform usage does not require any technical competencies. In fact, it makes all Italian public contracts data very easy to be used and understood, increasing the potential number of people that can access it dramatically. Appaltipop is a project by Ondata, co-funded by European Commission, Parliament Watch Italy and Transparency International Italy.

Learn more about this project on the World Justice Challenge website.

2 Likes

Dear Andrea Nelson, @nelsonmau, it was an honor to share the table with you at the recent OECD Anti-Corruption and Integrity event on COVID-19 procurement. Your use of data and civil society mobilization is truly impressive. With the arrival of COVID-19 vaccines, how do you see AppaltiPOP’s role evolving?

Again, so great to connect with you!

2 Likes

Hi @KVerbeek and thanks for your interest! It was such a honor for me, too!
As regarding your question: we are experiencing that data-skilled citizens worked a lot to create dashboards through COVID-19 open data at hyperlocal level. Please do have a look at these experiments made by citizens in smallest municipalties such a Regalbuto and Bagheria, both near to Palermo (Sicily). Now, the same trigger could be enabled for other data such as vaccines and so on, hence releasing new data for engaging partipation.

AppaltiPOP could be enriched with procurement data of the healthcare system and Covid Recovery, than become a source for hyperlocal analysis made be citizens. We do not need to empower deep analysis but to allow citizens to filter and expose hyperlocal data. They will try to answer the big question of "how my place/town is dealing with emergency / recovery aspects?.

I am not sure that my thoughts are clear and straights but please consider that our team is in the middle of this “brain storming”, therefore some logical connections will be improved in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Thank you @nelsonmau - it is incredibly encouraging to see these citizens take ownership of these tools to facilitate their own analysis. I especially enjoyed learning about the Open Data Sicily gathering that will take place soon. I hope it will fuel proactive attempts to hold municipal governments accountable. Best of luck during your brainstorming.

1 Like