FINALIST: Tella: Document & Protect

Ask questions for the Tella project here!

Tella
Horizontal, United States/Global

ABOUT: Tella is a documentation app for mobile devices. In challenging environments, with limited or no internet connectivity or in the face of repression, Tella makes it easier and safer to document events, whether that’s violence, human rights violations, corruption, or electoral fraud.

Learn more about this project on the World Justice Challenge website.

Hello everyone,

My name is Raphael and I work on Tella with the Horizontal team. We support organizations that collect evidence of human rights violations use technology safely and securely.

I’ll be happy to answer any question on the app, what it does, and how it’s used!

1 Like

Hi Raphael and congratulations on becoming a WJC finalist! I’d love to know more about how the pandemic informed or changed your efforts over the last year.

Hi @JayaK, thank you!

What we’ve seen with Covid-19 is an increased need for a tool like Tella by individuals and groups fighting for more government accountability and rule of law. Under guise of public safety, the pandemic gave governments an excuse to crackdown on civil society, and particularly on those fighting for fundamental freedoms. At the same time, many of those had to move their activities to digital to continue their work while staying safe. So we’ve seen more requests for support and more users taking advantage of the app to collect sensitive data and protect themselves in the process.

That makes sense. Sounds like your work is very impactful, especially during a pandemic when access to services is limited. Thanks for sharing!